Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Practicing honesty in recovery

I hear all the time whether it be in AA, groups, or with my therapist in order to have a successful recovery you have to practice a program of rigorous honesty. You cannot tell one lie. Even a little white lie some may first ask. Nope not even that. When I very first got sober I Did have a slip up and relapsed. At first I denied it and refused to myself that I did it. I was in deep denial. I started to ponder and try to learn from my relapse and I realized something. I was showing signs of relapse before it even happened. I was lieing not only to others but to myself on a constant basis. Finally after examining my relapse and learning from it. I did tell all my loved ones of my hidden use. But bottom line is if we can't be honest with ourselves then we sure as he'll can't with others. During our addictions we lie lie lie then lie some more to get what we want because it's all about us. Well so is recovery but just in a positive light. We must train ourselves to stay on that positive note and practice a program filled with integrity. Lieing we must leave in the past to let ourselves grow and prosper into the most beautiful people I know we can be. When you first get sober it's hard to be honest with yourself and others but give it time. Make a goal to tell a certain amount of truths a day and before you know it you will have developed a habit of being truthful! Also you won't have to remember all the lies you told cause it's all the truths. Just a thought. Give it a try! :)

3 comments:

  1. Very true in fact more people should practice honesty makes life so much better for everyone thank you for sharing your insights and being honest.

    ReplyDelete