Monday, February 2, 2015

Root of addiction

Many people ask what causes addiction? What makes someone become an addict? Do they wake up and just decide to use drugs or were they born with the addiction? Addiction is a disease. Not a choice. If it were a choice I can guarantee you not one addict would have choose this life. I say life because it truly becomes a lifestyle. You wake up and want drugs, get them, use them, and instantly are thinking about getting more and how. It's a constant go go go lifestyle. It doesn't stop. So how do we get to that point? What makes us an addict? I'm a firm believer in there's a root of all evil. Well there's a root to everyone's addiction whether it be trauma as a child, physical,mental, or emotional. Something caused you to use that first drug or take that first drink. To make you feel better or Normal. Right?  Discovering that is something you have to do on your own or from the help of a substance abuse counselor. But the moment you find the root of your evil is the moment you will begin your journey through recovery. You will be able to see and understand why you felt the need to do drugs. Work through your problems and feel better about yourself. For me, my root of my addiction is loneliness. I was not popular growing up and didn't have many friends. I was teased and picked on a lot in school. But the kids who did drugs sure had plenty of them and seemed to be happy and always having a good time. So I started using drugs to fit in and have friends. Not be a loner anymore. I never realized loneliness and wanting to just fit in was the root of my evil until my counselor helped me figure it out. All those years of trying to fit in and be like everyone else when I could have just been myself. Really bother me. But it was nice to realize the problem and talk about it. It's as if a weigh has been lifted off my shoulders and a kick start in my recovery began. So my suggestion to anyone struggling with addiction or knows someone struggling with it. Try to figure out the root or cause of it all the begin with. It will help you gain a better understanding of yourself and what kind of help you need to keep your sobriety in check!

5 comments:

  1. Its shae btw. Idk why it says jensenrobbins must of been when I was with tyson that I changed it but your amazing. Ive been wanting to blog also but everything I have to sayseems so dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you shae! Love ya! You should blog your heart out, it's truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete